1. Professional qualification and field expertise
According to the training pattern, allowed by the curricular flexibility, the Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences graduated at FMRP-USP may work: in university teaching in related fields; scientific research in areas of basic health sciences, biotechnology in health and clinical application; manipulation of processes in health biotechnology areas related to demands of prevention, diagnosis and treatment; development of innovative tools in biotechnology for the production of biological inputs to human health; advisory and consulting services related to the training and skills. The professional may also improve the training in specialization, masters and doctoral programs.
2. Job Market
Places requiring professionals with the training provided by the course are teaching and research institutions, medical institutions, government organizations, manufacturing companies and health-related services.
3. Course structure
The curriculum, developed in line with the curriculum guidelines of Biomedical Sciences courses, establishes an innovative standard that facilitates the use of potential and expectations of entering students to compose diversified professional profiles. The course has inter- and multidisciplinary feature, curriculum flexibility in teaching methods and scenarios/multiform learning, short lectures, time in the curriculum for study and reflection, continuous interaction with faculty members, proactive attitude, teaching activities associated with the production process and application of knowledge, academic tutor for each student. The curriculum is organized in two stages:
1) General (5 semesters): is divided into knowledge axes of biological sciences, mathematical sciences and humanities integrated into increasing levels of complexity. The disciplines of biological sciences are integrated, thus breaking walls among traditional disciplines; the teaching of mathematical sciences is contextualized in the analysis and understanding of biological phenomena; the biological sciences-humanities interaction aimed at understanding the socio-political and cultural context in which the egress will perform their professional activities and the potential conflicts of their activities in this context, including aspects of environmental sustainability and ethical (professional practice, teaching and research activities, development and use of biotechnology), and considering the evolution of knowledge and the development of the University, the higher education policies, science and technology in the country; biotechnology fundamentals show application prospects of biomedical sciences
knowledge in new areas of professional practice in healthcare.
2) Emphases (3 semesters each): Basic Health Sciences and Biotechnology in Health. The student performs senior research project and chooses disciplines and/or internships at FMRP, in other academic institutions in the country and abroad, in government organizations, public or private companies. The student, upon concluding one emphasis, can perform the other, if
4. The course in the context of FMRP
FMRP-USP in 6 decades of existence has developed the multiprofessional school profile in the health area, acting in undergraduate and graduate education, research and culture and community extension services. It integrates a wide Health Network involving complementary hospitals and services, as well as centers such as the Forensic Medicine Center, the Mental
Health Center, the Blood Center of Ribeirão Preto with its structure to handle blood products (one of the leading centers in the country) and the Health Technological Park in Ribeirão Preto (implemented by the State Government in partnership with USP). FMRP is acknowledged as one of the main centers of human resources training related to health and it has intense research activity in basic and applied health areas, ranging among USP facilities with the greatest internationalized scientific production. It houses an important graduate center in medical and biological areas (FMRP Graduate Program). Its Masters and PhD programs are rated among the best in the country and many of them are classified as internationally. It has fostered and expanded activities for post-doctoral research in its laboratories. It maintains intensive exchanges with educational and research institutions in the country and abroad, through institutionalized agreements and a complex network of individual
contacts of its faculty members. All faculty members have postgraduate training and about 98% of them perform full-time activities. It is part of the institutional policy and FMRP tradition that its faculty members conduct internship abroad. Most faculty members took part in these internships. New faculty members are taking it, or are encouraged to do this kind of internship.
Undergraduate students have access to several programs related to the educational process, such as scientific research, learning in extension services, international internship, among others. These activities are developed in a broad and diverse set of classrooms, teaching laboratories, rooms with computer resources and educational support and research
laboratories. All these scenarios undergo continuous process of renewal and innovation. The student has access to the Central Library of Ribeirão Preto Campus – USP, which maintains one of the largest collections of books and journals in the country in the biomedical field.
FMRP maintains a Center for Psychological and Psychopedagogical Support to students, which includes professionals in the field of psychology and pedagogy, as well as faculty members who form a Consulting Group in Health Education.
- Topics in Biotechnology I, II and III
- Scientific and Technological Development I, II and III
- Academic Tutoring I, II and III
- Mankind, Environment and their Interactions I, II and III
- Fundamentals of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics for Biological Phenomena Analysis I, II
- Biomolecules, Cell Biology and Biostructures
- Structure and Function of Biological Systems
- Integrated assessment I, II
- Bioregulation II
- Interferences on Bioregulation I, II
- Disciplines to support the emphasis on Basic Sciences in Health I, II and III
- Traineeship in Scientific and Technological Development I, II and III
- Contemporary Topics in Biomedical Sciences I, II and III
- Fundamentals of Biotechnology Management
- Diagnostic Imaging Applied to Experimental Research
- Traineeship in Scientific and Technological Development I
- Disciplines to Support Emphasis in Biotechnology in Health I, II and III
- Synthetic Biology and Biotechnology